Resources for Participating Librarians
Getting Started - Scheduling - Policies/Board - Staying Informed - Virtual Reference - Marketing Toolkit - Assessment
Difficult Questions Survey
Participating librarians were asked which types of chat questions made them most hesitant to pick up.
Ask Us 24/7 Videos and Tip Sheets
Most of these items are available as a video and a PDF. The information is the same in each, but since some people may prefer to watch a demonstration of some of the tips, we have video versions.
WMV = Windows Media Video format
QT = QuickTime video format
- Receiving (and sending) an Instant Message - WMV, and QT. For a PDF version of this information, see the section of the Ask Us 24/7 Training Manual titled "Instant Messaging with Other Librarians."
- Finding Articles Online - WMV, QT and PDF
- Finding Books Online - WMV, QT and PDF
- Reference Sources - WMV, QT and PDF
- Search Techniques - WMV, QT and PDF
Software Pilot - LibraryH3lp
In fall/winter 2013, the members of the Ask Us 24/7 Advisory Board and other librarians participated in a software pilot to test out LibraryH3lp. Read the results of the pilot.
- Seeking Synchronicity: Revelations and Recommendations for Virtual Reference. OCLC, June 2011.
- Let's Fix Virtual Reference. Library Journal, February 1, 2009.
- The Effects of Librarians’ Behavioral Performance on User Satisfaction in Chat Reference Services. Reference & User Services Quarterly, volume 47, issue 2, 2008.
- Encountering Virtual Users: A Qualitative Investigation of Interpersonal Communication in Chat Reference. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology. Volume 57, Issue 8 , Pages 1046 - 1059, April 25, 2006