Resources for Participating Librarians
Getting Started - Scheduling - Policies/Board - Staying Informed - Virtual Reference - Marketing Toolkit - Assessment
Software Pilot - LibraryH3lp & LibChat
In 2015, participants in Ask Us 24/7 participated in a test of LibraryH3lp and LibChat as alternative software platforms. Read the final report here.
Difficult Questions Survey
Participating librarians were asked which types of chat questions made them most hesitant to pick up.
Ask Us 24/7 Videos and Tip Sheets
Most of these items are available as a video and a PDF. The information is the same in each, but since some people may prefer to watch a demonstration of some of the tips, we have video versions.
WMV = Windows Media Video format
QT = QuickTime video format
- Receiving (and sending) an Instant Message - WMV, and QT. For a PDF version of this information, see the section of the Ask Us 24/7 Training Manual titled "Instant Messaging with Other Librarians."
- Finding Articles Online - WMV, QT and PDF
- Finding Books Online - WMV, QT and PDF
- Reference Sources - WMV, QT and PDF
- Search Techniques - WMV, QT and PDF
Software Pilot - LibraryH3lp
In fall/winter 2013, the members of the Ask Us 24/7 Advisory Board and other librarians participated in a software pilot to test out LibraryH3lp. Read the results of the pilot.
- Seeking Synchronicity: Revelations and Recommendations for Virtual Reference. OCLC, June 2011.
- Let's Fix Virtual Reference. Library Journal, February 1, 2009.
- The Effects of Librarians’ Behavioral Performance on User Satisfaction in Chat Reference Services. Reference & User Services Quarterly, volume 47, issue 2, 2008.
- Encountering Virtual Users: A Qualitative Investigation of Interpersonal Communication in Chat Reference. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology. Volume 57, Issue 8 , Pages 1046 - 1059, April 25, 2006